4-H Residential Camp Counselor Training empowers youth ages 14–18 to be positive role models, leaders, and mentors to their campers. This 38-page guide, available here as a PDF, provides preparation and training modules to help youth reach their full potential as the next generation of community leaders.
The 4-H Residential Camp Counselor Training Program values include:
• Embracing the mission and values of the overall Florida 4-H program
• Adhering to research-based, age-appropriate training modules
• Partnering youth and adults to work together to provide the best camp experience possible
• Creating a high-quality experiential learning environment that promotes workforce preparation and life-skill development in participants
Program Learning Principles
1. To develop mastery, counselor trainees must acquire component skills, practice integrating them, and know when to apply what they have learned.
2. Goal-directed practice, coupled with targeted feedback, enhances the quality of participants' learning.
3. Students' current level of development interacts with the social, emotional, and intellectual climate of the course to impact learning.
4. Develop the individual, not just their skills and knowledge.
5. Training promotes understanding of diversity and mutual respect among all participants.
6. Counselor training provides youth with a strong voice in planning, implementing, and evaluating camp experiences with guidance from adults.
7. Learning is increased by the variety of instructional techniques.