University of FloridaSolutions for Your Life

Download PDF
Publication #DH206

What You Need to Apply for Disaster Rehabilitation Assistance 1

Michael T. Olexa and Lauren Grant2


After a disaster, you may need to seek financial assistance to restore your home or farm. There are many sources of assistance, but you will be required to provide certain information. The lists below can help you assemble the necessary information before you meet with any agents.

Applying for Assistance

What you will need for grants or loans

  • Itemized list of losses

  • Estimates of the repair or replacement cost of each item

  • Estimates of new flood insurance premiums

  • Federal income tax returns from last three years (copies)

  • Deed, mortgage, or renter's lease (copy)

  • Previous insurance policy or insurance settlement (copy)

What you will need for personal loss

• Proof of monthly income (stubs, statements)

• Driver's license and/or Social Security Number

What you will need for business/farm loss

  • A brief history of the business or farm

  • Personal and business financial statements

  • Loan repayment schedule

  • List of bills owed

  • Farm Service Agency information on farm crop base and assigned yields

Source for This Publication



This document is EDIS document DH206, formerly IFAS publication DH0438. Published June 1998, revised January 2016. Visit the EDIS website


Michael T. Olexa, professor, Department of Food and Resource Economics, and director, Center for Agricultural and Natural Resource Law, UF/IFAS Extension, Gainesville, FL. Lauren Grant, student, Levin College of Law, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL.

Note: This publication is designed to provide accurate, current, and authoritative information on the subject. However, since the laws, regulations, administrative rulings, and court decisions on which it is based are subject to constant revision, portions of this publication could become outdated at any time. This publication is distributed with the understanding that the authors are not engaged in rendering legal advice or opinions, and the information contained herein should not be regarded, or relied upon, as a substitute for legal advice or opinion. For these reasons, the utilization of these materials by any person constitutes an agreement to hold harmless the authors, the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, and the University of Florida for any liability claims, damages, or expenses that may be incurred by any person as a result of reference to or reliance on the information contained in this fact sheet.

The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS) is an Equal Opportunity Institution authorized to provide research, educational information and other services only to individuals and institutions that function with non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations. For more information on obtaining other UF/IFAS Extension publications, contact your county's UF/IFAS Extension office.

U.S. Department of Agriculture, UF/IFAS Extension Service, University of Florida, IFAS, Florida A & M University Cooperative Extension Program, and Boards of County Commissioners Cooperating. Nick T. Place, dean for UF/IFAS Extension.