AskIFAS Powered by EDIS

What You Need to Apply for Disaster Rehabilitation Assistance

Michael T. Olexa and Sean Olevnik

This publication is designed to provide accurate, current, and authoritative information on the subject. However, since the laws, regulations, administrative rulings, and court decisions on which it is based are subject to constant revision, portions of this publication could become outdated at any time. This publication is distributed with the understanding that the authors are not engaged in rendering legal advice or opinions, and the information contained herein should not be regarded, or relied upon, as a substitute for legal advice or opinion. For these reasons, the utilization of these materials by any person constitutes an agreement to hold harmless the authors, the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, and the University of Florida for any liability claims, damages, or expenses that may be incurred by any person as a result of reference to or reliance on the information contained in this fact sheet.


After a disaster, you may need to seek financial assistance to restore your home or farm. There are many sources of assistance, but you will be required to provide certain information. The lists below can help you assemble the necessary information before you meet with any agents.

Applying for Assistance

What You Will Need for Grants or Loans

  • Itemized list of losses
  • Estimates of the repair or replacement cost of each item
  • Estimates of new flood insurance premiums
  • Federal income tax returns from last three years (copies)
  • Deed, mortgage, or renter's lease (copy)
  • Previous insurance policy or insurance settlement (copy)

What You Will Need for Personal Loss

  • Proof of monthly income (stubs, statements)
  • Driver's license and/or Social Security Number

What You Will Need for Business/Farm Loss

  • A brief history of the business or farm
  • Personal and business financial statements
  • Loan repayment schedule
  • List of bills owed
  • Farm Service Agency information on farm crop base and assigned yields

Sources for This Publication

FEMA Disaster Assistance Application:

How To Apply for Grants:

Farm Loss:

Business Disaster Loans -

Publication #DH206

Release Date:February 6, 2024

Related Experts

Olexa, Michael T.


University of Florida

  • Critical Issue: Other
Fact Sheet

About this Publication

This document is DH206 (formerly DH0438), one of a series of the Food and Resource Economics Department, UF/IFAS Extension. Original publication date June 1998. Revised January 2016, October 2019, and November 2023. Visit the EDIS website at for the currently supported version of this publication. The funding for the revision of this publication was provided by the James S. and Dorothy F. Wershow Endowment. This publication is part of the Disaster Handbook, a component of the Comprehensive Disaster Preparedness and Recovery Education Module. There are ten Disaster Handbook documents by Olexa and Olevnik: DH138, DH199, DH200, DH201, DH202, DH203, DH204, DH206, DH215, and DH219.

About the Authors

Michael T. Olexa, professor, Food and Resource Economics Department, and director, Center for Agricultural and Natural Resource Law; and Sean Olevnik, senior legal researcher and student, UF Levin College of Law; UF/IFAS Extension, Gainesville, FL 32611.


  • Michael Olexa
thumbnail for publication: What You Need to Apply for Disaster Rehabilitation Assistance