Florida 4-H Shooting Sports Level 1 Instructor Training & Certification—Volunteer Leader Training Series
Successful 4-H shooting sports programs are not possible without screened and trained volunteers to lead clubs. A potential adult volunteer must meet the following requirements to be on the range in an instructing, coaching, or assisting role:
- Be 21 years or older
- Complete the Florida 4-H youth protection screening requirements
- Complete Level 1 certification in a shooting sports discipline
Level 1 trainings are discipline-specific in air rifle, small-bore rifle, archery, shotgun, muzzleloading, and hunting.
Florida 4-H Shooting Sports Level 1 Instructor Training
The Level 1 Instructor Training provides 15 to 20 hours of training. The two parts of the training are:
PART ONE—4-H SHOOTING SPORTS BACKGROUND: Training in the policies and procedures of Florida 4-H shooting sports, the role of shooting sports in positive youth development, risk management, and youth teaching techniques. Part One is available in 4honline as an e-learning module and as a face-to-face class. It should be completed before volunteers participate in Part Two-Range Training.
PART TWO—RANGE TRAINING: Discipline-specific, hands-on field/practicum experience that covers safety, equipment use, range rules and procedures, setting up a range, putting teaching techniques into practice, and first-shot fundamentals. Part Two is a face-to-face session. Homework assignments may be part of the course depending on the discipline and instructor. Homework must be submitted within two weeks after the training.
Level 1 Shooting Sports Instructor certification is valid for three years from the date of the hands-on practicum. Once a volunteer completes the certification course, the Florida 4-H Shooting Sports Coordinator will record that date in their 4honline profile. The 4-H Agent will be notified before certification expires.
Certification can be extended for three more years if the volunteer assists at a state match and/or is observed at a practice by a Level 2 Shooting Sports Instructor.
Becoming Certified in Other Shooting Sports Disciplines
Once volunteers completes Level 1 Shooting Sports Instructor Training in a specific discipline, they can earn certification in other disciplines by completing the appropriate hands-on field practicum.
Each year, a limited number of instructors from each state can be nationally certified as Level 2 instructors. Level 2 instructors must "train the trainer," or the Level 1 instructor. Volunteers must be recommended for Level 2 certification by their county 4-H agent. The 4-H agent should contact the Florida 4-H Shooting Sports specialist to recommend a volunteer for Level 2 certification.
4-H Volunteer Job Description
JOB TITLE: Florida 4-H Level 1 Shooting Sports Instructor
REPORTS TO: 4-H Agent
TIME COMMITMENT: One year. Must re-enroll annually through 4honline.
JOB SUMMARY: Provide quality educational opportunities for youth utilizing the 4-H Shooting Sports Curriculum in a safe and appropriate manner.
PEOPLE SUPERVISED: Adult and/or teen instructors as deemed appropriate. Other adult volunteers as needed or available. Minimum of 4 youth. Adult:Youth Ratio—1:4 Muzzleloading, 1:5 Shotgun, 1:10 Archery, 1:10 Air Rifle/Small-Bore Rifle
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Attend all shooting club meetings and activities.
- Always be present when youth are actively using the shooting range.
- Teach the program following the provided National 4-H curriculum.
- Coach members on proper shooting techniques.
- Stress shooting sports safety.
- Actively encourage and support members.
- Supervise, direct, control, and counsel youth and volunteers in a safe, effective, and efficient manner.
- Delegate authority to other volunteers.
- Supervise and control the operation of the shooting sports facilities, range, and equipment, including firearms.
- Regularly inspect all shooting sports equipment, including individual or personal firearms and archery equipment.
- Help plan the yearly program.
- Help secure needed equipment and facilities.
- Administer an approved Risk Management Plan within established guidelines.
- Resolve complaints related to the shooting sports program. Refer unresolved complaints to the 4-H agent.
- Recruit club members and volunteers.
- Maintain club records and submit to the 4-H agent as requested.
- Publicize 4-H shooting sports activities and events.
- Encourage members to participate in other 4-H events and activities.
- Be familiar with current government and safety regulations on safe handling of firearms and related equipment.
- Participate in additional county or district volunteer trainings.
- Communicate regularly with the 4-H agent.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: Must maintain current discipline certification to be renewed every three years. Must be able to fulfill the duties described above.
AGE: Adult Instructor: 21 years and older. Young Adult Instructor: 14–20 years old
REQUIRES KNOWLEDGE OF:
● Firearm operations and practices
● 4-H policies and procedures
● Safety and risk management procedures
● Age-appropriate learning experiences
SKILL & ABILITIES:
● Interpersonal skills with other instructors, volunteers, and participants
● Management skills sufficient to perform proper inventory control, risk management, record keeping, and other duties as deemed necessary
● Willingness to work hard to get the job done properly
RESOURCES TO BE PROVIDED:
● 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor Training
● 4-H Shooting Sports Curriculum
● County and district volunteer training programs
4-H AGENT WILL PROVIDE:
● Leadership training
● Program and resource materials
● Print or electronic communication to members and volunteers
● County-wide activities open to all 4-H members
● Grant writing support
PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE: Must have a working knowledge of firearms equipment, a desire to help youth develop, and successful completion of the Florida 4-H volunteer screening process.
DISCLAIMER: This job description indicates the general level of work expected and is not designed to cover every activity. Instructors may be asked to perform other duties as needed.