Keeping It Clean: Plan Your Cleaning
Clean as You Go
The clean-as-you-go plan makes it easy to have a clean and orderly home.
- Develop a basic cleaning schedule. Keep it simple and stick to it.
- Plan projects that you can complete in the time allotted.
- Involve your family. All members working together help make it easier to keep your home in good condition.
- Keep all cleaning supplies and equipment in one place. Store supplies in a container that is easily transported from job to job.
Tasks to Do Immediately
The following tasks should be done immediately.
- Hang up clothing and coats as soon as you take them off.
- Put dirty clothes in the hamper.
- Clean dishes as soon as you finish eating.
- Make your bed when you get out of it.
- Put items back in their place after you use them.
- Vacuum or mop spills so they do not leave stains on carpet.
Tasks to Do Less Often
Examples of tasks that you do less often:
- Change the bed sheets weekly.
- Do the family laundry weekly or more often if needed.
- Wash windows each spring (or as needed).
- Dust weekly.
- Clean bathrooms weekly: toilets, sinks, counters, mirrors, and tubs.
- Change the filter in your furnace/air conditioner monthly (or as recommended by the manufacturer).
- Clean out the refrigerator of spills and outdated foods/drinks.
- Clean out the cabinets of outdated foods.
Remember: Scheduled household tasks are manageable unless the schedule is neglected!