For more lessons in the Third Grade Manatee Curriculum series, go to http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/topic_series_third_grade_manatee_workbook.
Students will create podcasts/PSAs/posters to teach others about ways to protect manatees.
By the end of the activity, students will be able to organize and deliver a persuasive message about manatee biology and/or conservation.
Common Core—CCSS.ELA-Literacy.3.SL.4; CCSS.ELA-Literacy.3.SL.5; CCSS.ELA-Literacy.3.SL.6
You Will Need
- Computers with Internet access
- Digital video camera
- Poster board or large sheets of paper
- Optional: Props (stuffed manatee toy, boat toy, fishing line, etc.)
Ideally, students should have access to the Internet (for research) and access to digital video cameras and/or computers with microphones to complete this activity. If electronic access is not available, students can create traditional posters.
- You may wish to have students work individually or in small groups. Explain that the students' goal is to use the information they have learned about manatees to create podcasts/PSAs/posters to teach others about ways to protect manatees. Podcasts/PSAs can be audio only, or can be video with audio.
- Students who are planning to create podcasts or PSAs should write scripts and think about what they might need as props (for video podcasts). Students should think about what message they want to get across with their product.
- Allow students at least two class periods to complete their projects. Allow students to share their recordings/posters with the rest of the class.